You have no items in your shopping cart.
- TEA & CHOCOLATE THEE & CHOCOLADE
- BEAUTY BEAUTY
- ACCESSORIES ACCESSOIRES
- SHOP ALL SHOP ALL
- INFO INFO
As you might (or might not) have noticed; some of my products are not vegan... they contain beeswax. "But Sharon I thought you wanted everything to be animal-friendly?" - Well it is!
When I started this store my idea behind it wasn't to make it an all vegan store. I wanted it to be animal cruelty free and sustainable but still pretty and luxurious. The beeswax used in the products (the Green miracle balm and the Eye of Horus eyeliner pencils) comes from organic sources. I was ensured that not a single bee was harmed while creating these products. While I can understand that mosts vegans do not want to use beeswax I still decided to get these products, why? It's simple, they're damn good products! Beeswax is very healing and super soft, the products simply wouldn't be as good as they are now.
If you'd get products with normal, commercial honey or beeswax it is not animal friendly and therefore I understand the boycot from the vegan community. What happens? Well many things but the most cruel things I find these:
- they cut off the wings of the bee queen. (and sometimes others bees as well)
- they harvest the honey and the waxes that the bees need for themselves to feed off. They then feed the bees with sugar.
- bees that are no longer needed get killed.
That's only a couple of things...
With organic, bee-friendly beeswax however there are a couple of rules:
- the bee hives have to be placed in a natural environment with sources of clean water, nectar and pollen within a range of 3 km.
- in the surroundings of the hive all crops have to be organic for at least 50%
- no harmful pesticides can be used
- when necessary bees can be fed with organic honey or organic sugar
- no bees can be killed
- no honey or waxes can be taken from hives with young bees
- no wings can be cut.
Waxes are often only harvested after the bees have left the hive. The beekeepers do not take any product that the bees still need to survive.
In my opinion this sounds animal cruelty free. And I even feel like it might help out... since bees are in such a critical state of survival these organic farms might help to keep them alive! At least they care for the bees.
But good news for the vegans, both Magic Organic Apothecary and Eye of Horus are working on completely vegan versions of their products as well. They won't get rid of these since they are popular and good products, but there will be a vegan option. By the time they're available I will add them to my store as well.
For now I hope this post has helped people to understand that not all bees wax is bad and that my products are truely animal friendly!
If you have questions do not hesitate to contact me.
Voor nu hoop ik dat deze post iets meer duidelijk heeft gemaakt over dat niet alle bijenwas per se slecht is en dat daarom nog steeds al mijn producten onder "diervriendelijk" vallen.
Mocht je nog vragen hebben dan kun je altijd contact opnemen.